John is Taking New Clients!
Beginning in late June, John is available to take new clients this summer, through August. His usual MO is to hold an initial two-hour conversation with a child's parent or parents, which is billed at $250 per hour and paid by check or CC in advance. During that initial conversation, John begins making specific recommendations. His goal is to charge no more, long term, than the initial $500, but no more than $750 total. Follow-up phone calls of less than 20 minutes are not billed (unless they become frequent). More than 20 minutes are billed at $125 per 30 minutes. Because John does not (and will not) administer tests or assign diagnoses, insurance companies will not cover his services, and although John is licensed to practice psychology, he counsels from a biblical point of view. John will not consult concerning a child who is in treatment with another mental health professional. Any such relationship would have to be formally terminated prior to the parents' first conversation with John. If interested, please fill out the Personal Consultation Form at the bottom of this page, and John will get in touch personally.
About John's Parent Counseling:
John is available to do a limited number of consultations and counseling with parents. John’s counseling approach is based not on psychological theory, principles, or methods, but on biblical principles exclusively. In this regard, it is important to understand that although John holds an active license to practice psychology issued by the North Carolina Psychology Board, he is not a Christian psychologist; in fact, he denies that the term has validity. Rather, John is a biblical counselor.
“The Bible contains a clear and simple plan for the raising of God’s children. Imperfect human beings cannot do anything in a manner that even begins to approach perfection, but when it comes to the raising of God’s children, imperfect human beings will do a much better job using instructions provided by our perfect Creator God than they will do using instructions provided by other imperfect human beings.” – JR
I practice with the following restrictions/guidelines:
- John will not, under any circumstances, conduct a first appointment by phone, Facetime, or Skype. First appointments must be face-to-face, meaning that the parent or parents must either bring John to them or go to John. First appointments generally last three hours, and up to five. The goal is to get as much done as possible in the shortest possible time frame. From that point on, John is generally willing to do follow-up by phone or (less often) email.
- John will not see parents who are seeing another therapist or counselor because of parenting or marital issues, nor will he see parents when the child in question is either currently in therapy or counseling with another professional or on medication for a behavioral issue.
- I do not accept insurance, Medicaid, or payment from any other third-party payee, and I will not fill out forms from or communicate with any of those sources. Clients can pay directly by check, cash, or credit card (Visa/MC only).
- Appointments cancelled less than 24 hours prior to the scheduled time will be billed at the full rate.
- If another professional has referred to me, I will work closely with that professional.
If you are interested in having John contact you concerning a potential appointment, please fill out the form below with only a brief summary of the problem. John will respond within 72 hours.